15) Hutchison, J.M.,* Hussein F.B., Mayer B.K., Evaluating sustainable development pathways for protein- and peptide-based bioadsorbents for phosphorus recovery from wastewater. Under review at Environmental Science & Technology.
14) Mansfeldt, C., Maal-Bared, R., Kaya, D., Bowes, D., Keenum, I. Sills, D., Aggarwal, S., Tiwari, A. Hutchison, J.M. Unveiling the targeted opportunities and universal challenges of wastewater-based surveillance for public health. Under review at Environmental Science & Technology.
13) Bowes D.A., Darling A., Driver E., Kaya D., Maal-Bared R., Adhikari S., Aggarwal S., Bivins A., Bohrerova Z., Duvallet C., Elinimeiry R.A., Hutchison J.M., Kapoor V., Keenum I., Ling F., Sills D., Tiwari A., Vikesland P., Ziels R., Mansfeldt C. Structured ethical guidelines for wastewater-based surveillance. Under revision for Environmental Science & Technology.
12) Chacha, W.E., Tran, H.T., Scarlett, W.R., Hutchison, J.M.* Extraction of active, contaminant degrading enzymes from soil. Applied Soil Ecology. July 2023.
11) Sharma, V.K., Hutchison, J.M.*, Allgeier, A.M.*. Redox biocatalysis: Quantitative comparisons of nicotinamide cofactor regeneration methods. ChemSusChem. September 2022.
10) Tran, H.T., Nguyen, M.K., Hoang, H.G., Hutchison, J.M., Vu, C.T. Composting remediation of phthalate (PAE)-contaminated soil: Current status and future perspectives. Chemosphere. August 2022.
9) Hutchison, J.M.*, Li, Z., Chang, C.N., Hiripitiyage, H., Wittman, M., Sturm, B. Improving correlation of wastewater SARS-CoV-2 gene copy numbers with COVID-19 public health cases using readily available biomarkers. FEMS Microbes. 3. April 2022.
8) Tetteh, J.T., Pham, A., Peltier, E., Hutchison, J.M., Ghahfarokhi, R.B. Predicting the electrokinetic properties on an outcrop and reservoir composite carbonate surfaces in modified salinity brines using extended surface complexation models. Fuel. 309. February 2022.
7) Hutchison, J.M., Mayer, B.K., Vega, M., Chacha, W.E., and Zilles, J.L. Making waves: Biocatalysis and biosorption: Opportunities and challenges associated with a new protein-based toolbox for water and wastewater treatment. Water Research X. 12(1). July 2021.
6) Hutchison, J.M.*, Zhang, Y., and Waller, S. Nontuberculous mycobacteria infection: Source and treatment. Current Pulmonology Reports 8. pp. 151-159. November 2019.
5) Hutchison, J.M., and Zilles, J.L. Biocatalytic removal of perchlorate and nitrate in ion-exchange waste brine. Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology. 4(8). pp. 1181-1189. July 2018.
4) Mobilia, K.C., Hutchison, J.M., and Zilles, J.L. Characterizing isozymes of chlorite dismutase for water treatment. Frontiers in Microbiology. 8 (2423). November 2017.
3) Hutchison, J.M., Guest, J.S., and Zilles, J.L. Evaluating the development of biocatalytic technology for the targeted removal of perchlorate from drinking water. Environmental Science and Technology. 51 (12). pp. 7178-7186. May 2017.
2) Hutchison, J.M., and Zilles, J.L. Biocatalytic perchlorate reduction: kinetics and effects of groundwater characteristics. Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology. 1(6). pp. 913-921. September 2015.
1) Hutchison, J.M., Poust, S.K., Kumar, M. Cropek, D.M., MacAllister, I.E., Arnett, C.M., and Zilles, J.L. Perchlorate reduction using free and encapsulated Azospira oryzae enzymes.Environmental Science and Technology. 47 (17). pp. 9934-9941. August 2013.
CAREER: Thermal proteome profiling applications for in-situ bioreporting of contaminant degradation in soils. National Science Foundation (NSF) – $560,398. February 2023 – January 2028.
Adaptive and Resilient Infrastructure driven by Social Equity (ARISE). Research Team Information. National Science Foundation (NSF) – $24,000,000. June 2022 – May 2027.
SARS-CoV-2 wastewater monitoring. Sturm, B., Hutchison, J.M. Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) – $177,000. July 2021 – June 2022.
Advanced manufacturing of renewable and recyclable polymers. Subramaniam, B., Allgeier, A., Dawsey, T., Ginther, D., Ierapetritou, M., Lobo, R., Scurto, A., Hutchison, J.M., Vlachos, D. National Science Foundation (NSF) – $4,000,000. October 2021 – September 2025.
Screening phage-host receptor interactions using thermal proteome profiling. Hutchison, J.M. Research Project – NIH CoBRE – $636,300. October 2021 – May 2024.
Novel 3D printed zeolite passive samplers enabling fast and reliable measurements of PFAS in complex environmental matrices. Shiflett, M.B., Hutchison, J.M., Peltier, E., Laird, B.B., Corbin, D.R. Army Corps of Engineers – $380,638. October 2021 – September 2024.
Experimental and Modeling Investigation of Fluid-Fluid and Rock-Fluid Compatibility between Arbuckle and Lansing Kansas City Formations with the Purpose of Produced Water-Exchange Between the Two Formations to Reduce both Fresh Water Usage and Water Disposal Problems. Kansas Water Research Institute. (KWRI) – $40,000. March 2020-June 2022.
Microbiome and High-throughput Enzyme Screening for Biodegradation Potential of
Per- and Polyfluorinated Alkyl Substances. EPSCoR MAPS – Research, Education, and Innovation Awards (REI) – $49,729. July 2019- July 2021.
Phage-protein based removal of pathogenic non-tuberculous Mycobacterium from drinking water. NIH Chemical Biology of Infectious Disease (CBID) CoBRE. $88,260. May 2020-April 2021.
SARS-CoV-2 Wastewater Monitoring as an Indicator for Community Prevalence of COVID-19. Kansas Department of Health and Environment, City of Olathe, City of Lawrence, Johnson County Wastewater. – $127,459. June 2020 – June 2021.
Data Sets and Code
Improving correlation of wastewater SARS-CoV-2 gene copy numbers with COVID-19 public health cases using readily available biomarkers. Dataset. Mar 2022
Making waves: Biocatalysis and biosorption: Opportunities and challenges associated with a new protein-based toolbox for water and wastewater treatment. Dataset. March 2021
Making waves: Biocatalysis and biosorption: Opportunities and challenges associated with a new protein-based toolbox for water and wastewater treatment. Code. March 2021